Sunday 28 October 2007

Indications

With the placements around, people are getting really sick of not getting placed (at least I am!) and for others who are already placed...they are unhappy with themselves & asking themselves why they didn't wait for the better companies. And each time I encounter the situation; I am always reminded of the fact that whether good or bad; the past is no indication of the future!! Consider this...

On January 24, 1848; James W. Marshall found the first piece of gold and hence began The Great Californian Gold-rush. The pity is that the piece he found was only a few grams in weight; with people later on, reporting to have found pieces weighed in kilograms!! Furthermore, it was the first and last gold nugget ever found by Mr. Marshall; but there were others who made big fortunes; and I mean, really BIG (after all, they had quite literally, STRUCK GOLD!!!!)

On the other hand, while the markets were just about to go for a tail-spin as a result of the sub-prime crisis, Bear Sterns became one of the first houses to declare losses...a whopping $ 700 million. But looking at it in hindsight; it seems to be almost a winner. The biggies like Merill Lynch, UBS Securities, J P Morgan, etc. had booked losses; none less than a billion dollars each, with Merill Lynch topping them all at about almost $ 5 billion!!!

The moral of the story: don't judge your condition based on the present...lookout for what the future holds. After all, who knows, it may not be as severe as you percieve it to be...!

Hasmukh :)

5 comments:

Priya said...

well..well..well...you took the thoughts right out of my mind...
what you need right now is...
P
A
T
I
E
N
C
E
.....have that and you will triumph in the end...:D

Hasmukh :) said...

Yeah, right....! As Arnold Glasow said, "The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it!"

Krishnamurthi Kumar said...

Mehul.... this is probably ur best post yet.... coz its so easy to understand.... and yet... so true.... I see that you are getting increasingly fond of "as _____ said" references..... so here comes my contribution... "Its so simple to be happy but so difficult to be simple"- (Bawarchi, Gulzar)

Kanan said...

Been there done that. :) I know it feels really sucky right now, but a few years down the line, you won't even remember it and you'd wish you had this kind of free time again. ;)

As someone once said to me, this too shall pass. Hang in there, and keep trying your best. And believe me, the more interviews you give and the more you interact with the hiring folks, the more confident you're going to get!

Hasmukh :) said...

Heheheh; thanks for your comments Murthi & Kanan...I hope you are right, I know you are right; but for the time being I have become too short-sighted to see what is going to happen a few years down the line! Maybe once I'm over it, I'd be able to see it from your eyes.....

But I do have the perspective in advance; and enjoyed seeing it in that light.